25 Catering Statistics You Need to Know in 2024


Adriana Desmond

FEB 22, 2024


  • Jump to:

25 Catering Statistics You Need to Know in 2024

Catering saw a massive rebound in 2023, particularly in corporate and office catering. In this article, we break down the industry's growth, challenges, and consumer behavior. Join us as we delve into 25 need-to-know catering statistics to help build your growth strategy in 2024.

Catering Market Growth & Tech Insurgence: 

  • The catering market reached a value of USD 72.67 billion in 2023.

  • The catering market is anticipated to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 6.2 percent, reaching $124.36 billion by 2032. 

  • 63% of the catering business is made up of catering to customers, commonly known as B2C or social catering.

  • The key trends driving growth in catering are the increasing incorporation of technology, the rising popularity of food outsourcing at parties, and a growing variety of catering menu options

  • Regarding catering operations and investments, we asked Enterprise restaurants what area of their catering business is top of mind this year, and the top response was 30.3% in order management tech, followed by 21.2% in generating demand.

  • Growing demand for the following applications around the world has had a direct impact on the growth of Catering and Food Services: medical institutions, education institutions, government organizations, and commercial catering.

  • In a recent survey by Lunchbox, restaurants were asked what areas of catering they found the most challenging. The top result was scaling sales at 57%, followed by menu and packaging.

  • The entire revenue for the food service business was $537.2 billion last year, meaning that catering accounted for 11% of the market.

  • Catering to consumers (also called B2C or social catering) makes up 63% of the total catering market, according to Technomic. B2B catering and serving institutions account for the other 37%.

  • Investing in a direct catering online channel has a 9X ROI after the first 12 months (Lunchbox). 

  • Lunchbox Catering channels cost restaurants 82% less than third-party marketplaces after one year.

  • Consumers are spending the most money on QSR and full-service catering services. 37% of catering dollars are spent at QSR restaurants, while 25% are spent at full-service establishments.

  • The top decision influencers when corporate customers order catering are: quality & taste, and order accuracy.

  • Catering check averages are higher on first-party online ordering than marketplace online ordering, with Lunchbox Catering orders averaging at $500 per check.

  • The majority of catering orders (75%) are placed online on mobile or desktop. Phone calls still make up a 30% portion of catering orders. 

The Corporate Catering Landscape: 

Wrapping Up: 

As we conclude our exploration of catering in 2024, it's clear that the industry is ripe with opportunities for growth and innovation. From the impact of technology to changing consumer behaviors, there's much to consider for those operating in this space. By staying informed and adapting to these trends, businesses can position themselves for success in the evolving world of food services.

  Subscribe to our newsletter  Subscribe to our newsletter